[Intended to pay homage to Dad’s Somewhat Personal columns for the Park Region Echo. Sometimes “homages” are a little light in the “pay” department]:
Last night the supervisor and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary! Yes, on Valentine’s Day – so I wouldn’t forget the date (though to this day, I can never remember whether it’s the 12th or the 14th?). Over the last several years, this celebration has either taken place at SAWA – or at a girls’ hockey tournament game. Last night – SAWA (the hockey tournament game is tonight). Surrounded by dozens of our closest friends, we enjoyed a four-course meal from Chef Matthew – and poetry and song from Dave and Marilyn Bengston, who for the 3rd year in a row came all the way from Long Prairie to provide the entertainment. Yes, we enjoyed it all.
[The books are from her sister, Rita 🙂 – the chocolates from me.]
In keeping with the completely personal aspects of this column, in doing “deep” research I ran across this short bio from a few years ago, a questionaire either from Ladies Home Journal or Cosmo, I would assume:
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Every time George W. Bush opens his mouth
3. Do you like your handwriting?
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Bebe Neuwirth (Oh, I thought it said lunch “meet”)
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
Is that a trick question?
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM ALOT?
My life’s blood . . .
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS
. . . and 3 wisdom teeth.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
I only jump to conclusions.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
I can’t bend over to tie them in the first place.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
I have been known to lift a fork to mouth many times in succession.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Cold and frozen
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Whether they have hair.
15. RED OR PINK?
My goal in life is to have a pink Vespa, with full black leathers.
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
See answer to No. 11.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU?
With luck, it will get lost in cyber space.
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
I type naked.
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
Chocolate chip cookies – a dietary staple!
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO NOW?
I live on Lake Darling, in Alexandria – so it’s always . . . the wind!
22. IF YOU WHERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
I would prefer to be a Magic Marker.
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
See answer to No. 20.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
I’m still waiting for a call.
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
27. HAIR COLOR?
OK, who put that one in here?
28. EYE COLOR?
Blood shot (the Wine & Ale last night)
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
See answer to preceding question.
30. FAVORITE FOODS?
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Jack Nicholson – so, either one.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
I don’t know – I was too scared!
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
See answer to No. 19.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Fall (OK, I’m a smartass.)
35. HUGS OR KISSES?
36. FAVORITE DESSERT?
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
See answer to No. 17
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
“(Not that You Asked)”
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
Whatever it was, I just washed it off (eee-yew!)
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT?
[Deleted – this is a family oriented publication.]
42. FAVORITE SOUND?
Terry and Al sang “Harvest Moon” again for us last night at the Wine & Ale
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
Beatles (is that a straight answer?)
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
As yet, undiscovered.
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
The hospital has long since been razed!
47. WHOSE ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK?
Oh, you guys . . .
48. WHAT TIME IS IT NOW?
Time for a nap.
The following photos are from the Minneapolis Tribune Parade Magazine article Dad wrote about in his above Somewhat Personal column:
[Dad overlooking 6th and Broadway in Alex.]
[Dad and Keith Wallace with the bogus string of fish noted in his column.]
[Dad at his desk at the Park Region Echo.]